The sixty-third session of the Commission on the Status of Women took place at the United Nations Headquarters in New York from 11 to 22 March 2019.
Representatives of Member States, UN entities, and ECOSOC-accredited non-governmental organizations (NGOs) from all regions of the world attended the session.
Visit the CSW63 Mobile App page or scan the QR link below to download the CSW Mobile App on iOS or Android and create your own schedule!
- Priority theme: Social protection systems, access to public services and sustainable infrastructure for gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls;
- Review theme: Women’s empowerment and the link to sustainable development (agreed conclusions of the sixtieth session);
The Bureau of the Commission plays a crucial role in facilitating the preparation for, and in ensuring the successful outcome of the annual sessions of the Commission. Bureau members serve for two years. In 2002, in order to improve its work and ensure continuity, the Commission decided to hold the first meeting of its subsequent session, immediately following the closure of the regular session, for the sole purpose of electing the new Chairperson and other members of the Bureau (ECOSOC decision 2002/234).
The Bureau for the 63rd session (2019) of the Commission on the Status of Women comprises the following members:
- H.E. Ms. Geraldine Byrne Nason (Ireland), Chair (Western European and other States Group)
- Ms. Koki Muli Grignon (Kenya), Vice-Chair (African States Group)
- Mr. Mauricio Carabali Baquero (Colombia), Vice-Chair (Latin American and Caribbean States Group)
- Ms. Rena Tasuja (Estonia), Vice-Chair (Eastern European States Group)
- Mr. Mohammed S. Marzooq (Iraq), Vice-Chair designate (Asia-Pacific States Group)
- Regional preparatory meeting in the Asia-Pacific region
- Workshop on Applying a Gender Lens to Science, Technology and Innovation
- Regional consultation in the African region
- Regional consultation in the Arab region
- Regional consultation in the Latin America and the Caribbean region
- Multi-Stakeholder Forum
- Expert Group Meeting: Social protection systems, public services and sustainable infrastructure for gender equality
In preparation for the sixty-third session of the Commission on the Status of Women, UN Women convened an Expert Group Meeting on the priority theme: “Social protection systems, public services and sustainable infrastructure for gender equality” in New York, 13 to 15 September 2018.
- Input for the report of the Secretary-General on the review theme
Organization of the session
The Commission’s two-weeks session included the following activities:
The outcome of the Commission’s consideration of the priority theme during its 63rd session takes the form of agreed conclusions, negotiated by all Member States. The Commission on the Status of Women adopted agreed conclusions on “Social protection systems, access to public services and sustainable infrastructure for gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls” on 22 March 2019.
- Modalities of NGO participation
- Opportunities for NGOs to address the Commission
- NGO advisories: important information on CSW63 arrangements